Baby Christmas Tree Ornament

Every year I make my mum a handmade Christmas tree ornament (you can view my previous year's makes here). This year she wanted something to mark the birth of Ivy, preferably crochet. Looking for crochet baby patterns on Pinterest brought up crochet baby things, like clothes, or crochet baby Christmas brought up a lot of baby Jesus patterns, but not much else.

In the end, I found this free pattern on Raverly of the Little Twin Stars dolls, and decided they were super cute, and I would make one of them. I used a total mixture of yarn for this one, mainly because I had little odds and ends to use up. Her hair ended up being two tone because I ran out of Rico Essentials Cotton DK fairly close to the end and had to swap to a darker DK yarn to finish it off. I was also using 4ply white for her outfit, and while her limbs looked fine in it, her body turned out tiny, so I swapped to an Aran weight yarn to make it more appropriately sized. I used a 2.5mm hook as I was trying to make it as small as possible, and this was the same size hook I used for my own ornament, so I was hoping it would come out roughly the same size.

I went with the pink one, because we were pretty sure we were having a girl (which turned out to be correct), but I used the shorter hair from the blue doll, as well as the pink bow detail from the blue doll as well. The pattern wasn't written out as completely as I might have liked, and assumed you would know where to increase/decrease to get the correct number each round. I think I managed to work it all out correctly, but someone totally new to crochet might have had a bit of trouble with it. It definitely meant I spent more time doing maths than I liked each round.

Christmas tree baby ornament

Much like the little tree ornament I made for our tree, I just added a length of chain stitches to her head so it could be hung on the tree.

Christmas tree baby ornament

I also added a little embroidered felt tag, with Ivy's name and her birth date on the back, as I've added the date to every other ornament I've made my mum through the years, so she can keep track of what is from which year.

Christmas tree baby ornament

Christmas tree baby ornament

She turned out super cute but quite big/a bit heavy for a tree ornament, so she's sort of sitting beside the tree/hanging on it. I think next year I'll need to go back to make little felt ornaments for my mum so her tree doesn't collapse!

Christmas tree baby ornament

Yarn Used:
  • Sheepjes Catona:
    •  263 Petal Peach.
  • Rico Essentials Cotton DK:
    • Rose.
  • Patons Fairytale 4ply:
    • White.
  • Stylecraft Special DK:
    • Fondant.
  • Stylecraft Special Aran:
    • Cream. 
Raverly Project Page.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.