Baby Crochet Crown

I think the lesson in crafting for a baby is, don't make something when they are asleep and you can't try it on them. Because chances are it will be too small, and you won't find this out until the next morning.

I take Ivy to baby sensory classes, which is lots of singing, dancing and games on different themes every week which help you bond with your baby, and also help your baby learn important skills. This week was party week, so I decided to crochet Ivy a little crown (to look like a party hat) that she could wear along to the class. She had a bit of an accident in her outfit the week I was supposed to dress her as an animal, so I was determined to have a cool outfit this week.

I found this free pattern for a crochet crown in a number of different sizes, and thought it would be perfect. I decided to crochet it flat however, and sew it up when I was done, as I could not seem to join my chain without twisting it! Even when it looked even, it ended up twisted after the first round, so I just gave up.

I decided to make the 6-12 months size, but when I was finished it look a little bit small!

Crochet crown

Sure enough when I tried it on Ivy the next morning, it would barely even look at her, so a redo was needed!

I decided to do the bigger size in a different colour, just to mix it up a bit! This time I tried going up a couple of hook sizes to get the right sort of size, and eventually ended up away at a 6mm hook (the pattern calls for a 3.75mm hook) to get something that looked remotely big enough. I also went up to the 1-3 years pattern, as I thought too big was better than too small, as I could just do some overlapping when I sewed it together.

This one turned out a lot better, and I overlapped one spike when I sewed it together to get it to the right size.

Crochet crown

Crochet crown

Crochet crown

Crochet crown

Now, I have no idea what is going on with my tension if I'm being honest! I used Caron Simply Soft yarn, as the pattern called for Aran weight, and that's what it's listed as on Wool Warehouse. (However, I also used Aran weight yarn when it says worsted, as worsted appears to be somewhere between DK and Aran, so it seems like the best bet). My purple crown did turn out a bit bigger than I should have been, so clearly the 6mm jump was a bit too much, but it clearly needed to be a lot bigger than 3.75mm. I so used to just making stuff and not bothering with tension squares, it's such a pain to be SO off. Especially for quick projects for this, I don't want to be spending more time doing tension squares than I will making the actual item (even though I did end up making this one twice!).

Crochet crown

Either way she looked super cute in it for the day, and that's all I made it for really! I'm hoping she can use them to dress up her teddies or something when she's a bit older so we'll get a bit more use out of them.

Yarn Used:
  • Caron Simply Soft:
    • Orchid.
    • Lemonade.
Raverly Project Page.

This project is a step towards completing my New Year's List. You can check out my progress here.

  • Craft for Ivy.

No comments:

All compiled thanks craft and geek power. Powered by Blogger.