Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Ivy's First Birthday Party

Last week marked Ivy's first birthday and we held a little birthday party for our family. Obviously there was no need to go overboard with the party, as Ivy had no clue what was going on, but I had seen a couple of things on Pinterest that I wanted to try and make, teamed with some baking! So please enjoy my roundup of Ivy's birthday party!

First up we have the baking side of things. I obviously wanted to make a cake, but I've never had much luck with full size cakes before. My mum gave me the recipe for Mary Berry's all-in-one Victoria sponge, which was super easy and turned out lovely. I put jam and butter icing in the middle, with butter icing, pink sugar and mini jazzies on the top.

Ivy's first birthday party

I also made a batch of brown sugar spiced shortbread, which I made into ovals, and then put mini number 1s on top, topped with pink sparkle icing.

Ivy's first birthday party

From a crafty point of view, I made three party decorations to brighten up the place. First up was a poster all about Ivy, which we hung on the wall. There are loads of examples of how to make these on Pinterest, as well as pre-made personalised versions you can buy from Etsy. I just bought a huge sheet of light pink paper from Hobbycraft and picked my favourite elements from all the posters I had seen.

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

I also made some cupcake pom-pom bunting. Again, I had seen a few different versions of these on Pinterest, including this one for sale from Cupcakes Wishes & Birthday Dreams. I used my second biggest pom-pom make to make 10 pom-poms and then hot glued them into cupcake cases. I think topped with a mini pre-made felt pom-pom (again with hot glue) and threaded them all onto some bright pink wool. I got a lot of compliments for this on the day, and it was super easy and fast to make!

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

Finally, I read a post on Life as Mama about high chair decorations for first birthday parties, and thought it would look super cute for photos on the day.

I made 4 tassles using these instructions from Honestly WTF. I also made two white pom-poms and cut the letters for "one" out of different shades of pink card. I then threaded it all onto some cute "Happy Birthday" ribbon from Hobbycraft and tied it onto the tray of Ivy's highchair. I was worried she would pull it off instantly, but she actually left it alone all day.

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

Ivy's first birthday party

Phew! It was a lot of work for something that Ivy won't even remember, but hopefully everyone who came had a lovely time, and all my crafty stuff got captured in the photos!

This project is a step towards completing my New Year's List. You can check out my progress here.
  • Craft for Ivy

0 comments:

Post a Comment